Beginners Yoga: 6 week course
Saturday 11th April 2020To be re-arranged
9:15am – 10:15am
For more information please contact email@example.com
Introduction to Ashtanga yoga
Over the six weeks we will break down the fundamentals of a well-rounded yoga practice: asanas (physical postures) and body alignment, movement and transitions, pranayama (breathing techniques), basic meditation and some philosophy and history of Ashtanga yoga. Build strength, flexibility, improve posture, balance and mental focus whilst practising in a relaxed and friendly group setting. Upon completion of the course you will have the experience, confidence and knowledge to attend the open level yoga class and start to build a regular yoga practice.
Course structure: The beginners yoga course is taught in a six week sequence. Each class will include a complete basic yoga practice with emphasis on the following:
Week 1: Introduction to meditation & Sun salutations
Week 2: Forward bending and seated postures
Week 3: Twisting and balancing
Week 4: Heart-openers and back bending
Week 5: Introduction to inversions
Week 6: A typical class with pranayama (breathing) and meditation techniques
Some supporting information will be provided in class/via email so you can deepen your knowledge and understanding.
What to expect in each class:
- We will start each class with a short mindfulness meditation to connect with our breath and allow the mind to settle.
- We will then review the function and benefits of the postures included in the weekly theme
- Following this we will learn and practise some physical postures (asanas), including Sun Salutations to build heat and strength, followed by some seated postures to develop flexibility. Modifications/alternative postures will be offered to ensure you can practise safely and choose the best pose to suit you. In some postures I may physically adjust you to ensure safe alignment and/or to deepen your stretch in the pose. If you prefer not to be adjusted, or the adjustment feels too strong, then just let me know.
- Finally we will rest in Savasana to calm and relax the mind and body, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
To ensure you get maximum enjoyment from the class, there are a few things that will help you prepare:
- Wear comfortable clothing that you can easily move in; nothing too tight or restrictive
- Ideally you should practise yoga on an empty stomach (e.g. 3 hours after food)
- Bring some warm clothing to wear for the relaxation at the end of the class
- If you have any illness or injuries, check with your GP to make sure you are safe to practise
- Bring your own mat if you have one, but we do have mats and props at the studio that you can use
- Before your first class, we will ask you to fill out a health questionnaire. This is available at the studio (please arrive at least 5 mins before class to complete this) or you can download the Health Questionnaire and Disclaimer and bring it to class.
Location:PiPeLine Productions Academy,
Delius Arts & Cultural Centre,
29 Great Horton Road
BD7 1AA Please note that the course will only run if a minimum number of 10 people enroll. Should the minimum number not be reached, you can defer your place to the next course or you will be offered a full refund. If you cancel your enrollment up to 7 days prior to the course start date then a full refund will be issued. Cancellation within 7 days of the course start date is subject to a 30% cancellation fee, which will be deducted from the refund.