Beginners yoga: 6 week course – Introduction to Ashtanga yoga
For more information or to book, please contact email@example.com
Thursday 15th February 2018 8:30pm – 9:30pm
at Delius Arts & Cultural Centre, German Church, 29 Great Horton Road
Saturday 3rd March 2018 11:45am – 12:45pm
at Kala Sangam
Over the six weeks we will break down the fundamentals of a well-rounded yoga practice: asanas (physical postures) and body alignment, movement and transitions, pranayama (breathing techniques), basic meditation and some philosophy and history of Ashtanga yoga. Build strength, flexibility, improve posture, balance and mental focus whilst practicing in a relaxed and friendly group setting. Upon completion of the course students will have the experience, confidence and knowledge to attend the open level yoga class and start to build a regular yoga practice.
Course structure: The beginners yoga course is taught in a six week sequence. Each class will include a complete basic yoga practice with emphasis on the following:
Week 1: Introduction to meditation & Sun salutations
Week 2: Forward bending and seated postures
Week 3: Twisting and balancing
Week 4: Heart-openers and back bending
Week 5: Introduction to inversions
Week 6: A typical class with pranayama (breathing) and meditation techniques
Some supporting information will be provided in class/via email so you can deepen your knowledge and understanding.
What to expect in each class:
- We will start each class with a short mindfulness meditation to connect with our breath and allow the mind to settle.
- We will then review the function and benefits of the postures included in the weekly theme
- Following this we will learn and practice some physical postures (asanas), including Sun Salutations to build heat and strength, followed by some seated postures to develop flexibility. Modifications/alternative postures will be offered to ensure you can practice safely and choose the best pose to suit you. In some postures I may physically adjust you to ensure safe alignment and/or to deepen your stretch in the pose. If you prefer not to be adjusted, or the adjustment feels too strong, then just let me know.
- Finally we will rest in Savasana to calm and relax the mind and body, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
To ensure you get maximum enjoyment from the class, there are a few things that will help you prepare:
- Wear comfortable clothing that you can easily move in; nothing too tight or restrictive
- Ideally you should practice yoga on an empty stomach (e.g. 3 hours after food)
- Bring some warm clothing to wear for the relaxation at the end of the class
- If you have any illness or injuries, check with your GP to make sure you are safe to practice
- Bring your own mat if you have one, but we do have mats and props at the studio that you can use
Thursday Course @ Yoga BradfordPiPeLine Productions Academy,
Delius Arts & Cultural Centre,
29 Great Horton Road
Saturday Course @ Kala Sangam – Clock Tower, BradfordClock Tower (3rd Floor)
Kala Sangam Arts Centre
St Peter’s House
1 Forster Square
PAYMENT FOR KALA SANGAM COURSE IS VIA ONLINE BANKING DIRECTLY TO KALA SANGAM. Please contact for further details.